The Faculty of Architecture / Architecture (English taught)
5th Year, sem 2, 2020-2021
Optional Course | Hours/Week: 2C | ECTS Credits: 2
The discipline aims to acquire a general knowledge of sustainable design, in order to prepare the student to cope with the challengings of the following years regarding the evolution of the international phenomenon of sustainability in the field of architecture.
The knowledge the students come in contact with will be applied to the "Optional Ecological Architecture Design" subject. Thus, they will acquire effective sustainable design skills, that will guide them towards conceptual and technological choices, adapted to the current realities with which the contemporary architect works. The major objective of the two disciplines is to create a personal critical method of analysis and interpretation of the context in which an intervention is to be inserted, thus generating a sustainable, compatible architecture.
The attendance at some courses of external guests, coming from the professional environment, research or non-governmental organizations, active participants in the current phenomena of the field, offers the opportunity to familiarize the students with the professional reality in Romania.
- Concepts of sustainable development in architecture;
- Sustainable approach to architectural design; Bioclimatic design;
- Use of alternative energies; ("solar architecture", "green architecture", "zero energy building" etc.)
- Human comfort;
- Spatial conformation of buildings;
- Supporting technologies for sustainable buildings;
- The behavior of buildings’ envelope in relation with the environment;
- Policies for the implementation of energy efficiency measures;
- Green Building certification systems;
The way of organizing the lectures is meant to be an interactive one, involving the active participation of the students. Starting from the general notions that introduce the course topics, cumulative specific notions are added.
Final evaluation - Elaboration of a (team) theoretical paper, consisting of at least 15,000 characters (about 7-8 pages A4), which justifies the sustainability of the intervention of the project developed in parallel to the "Optional Ecological Architecture Project" discipline. The students that are not attending the Optional project of Ecological Architecture, must develop the theoretical paper following one of the subjects discussed during the courses.
- Almusaed, A. (2011), Biophilic and Bioclimatic Architecture, Springer, London;
- Armenciu, D., (2011), Arhitectura între solstiții, în „Research 2010-2011, Din stratigrafia cercetării în Arhitectură și Urbanism”, Derer. H. (ed.), Paralela 45, Pitești.
- Armenciu, D. (2009*), Arhitectura bioclimatică - Definire, concepte, formă, în „Igloo Habitat & Arhitectură”, nr. 93 - septembrie 2009, Igloo Media, București;
- Benedetti, C. (1994), Manuale di architettura bioclimatica, Maggioli Editore, Rimini;
- Crowther, R.L., Ecologic Architecture, Butterworth-Heinemann 1992;
- Givoni, B. (1969), Man, Climate and Architecture, Elsevier Publishing Company LTD, Barking, Essex;
- Hegger, M., Fuchs, M., et. al., (2008), Energy Manual; Sustainable Architecture, Birkhauser/Edition Detail, Basel.
- Ionac, N., (1998), Clima și comportamentul uman, Editura Enciclopedică, București.
- Lechner R., 2001 (Second Edition), Heating, Cooling, Lighting, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, SUA
- Ochinciuc, C., (2002), Conceptul dezvoltarii durabile in arhitectura : Proiectarea integrata, Editura Universitară „Ion Mincu”, București.
- Ochinciuc, C., (2006), Arhitectura și schimbarea climatică, Editura Universitară „Ion Mincu”, București.
- Ochinciuc, C., (2006*), Propunere de introducere a indicatorilor pentru clădirile durabile, Editura Universitară „Ion Mincu”, București.
- Olgyay, Victor. (1963), Design with climate: bioclimatic approach to architectural regionalism. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, USA;
- Olgyay, V.; Olgyay, A. (1957), Solar Control and Shading Devices. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, USA;
- Pană, R., (2010), Fizica Construcțiilor – Higrotermică, însorire și protecție solară, Editura Universitară „Ion Mincu”, București;
- Slessor, Catherine, ECO – TECH, Sustainable Architecture and High Technology, Thames and Hudson;
- Yeang, K., (1996), The skyscraper bioclimatically considered, Academy Editions, London;