The Faculty of Architecture / Architecture (English taught)
2nd Year, sem 1, 2022-2023
Compulsory Course | Hours/Week: 1C+1L | ECTS Credits: 3
- Understanding of the construction as intrinsic part of architecture.
- Ability to correlate the representation of architecture (the designed object) with its materialization (the real object)
- Adequate knowledge of the expressive potential of wood and steel.
- Understanding of the materials’ specific conditionality in architectural design.
- Knowledge of building’s physical functions so as to provide internal conditions of comfort and protection against the climate, using specific materials and techniques.
- Knowledge of the constructive systems, subsystems and elements.
- Understanding of the role of details in architecture; the ability to choose materials and decide on constructive solutions corresponding to the architectural concept.
- The necessary skills in using graphic representation of executive design, as instrument to communicate the architectural intention to the builder.
- Knowledge of technical terms and correct use of specialty vocabulary.
The WOOD. Technical characteristics of the wood for construction. General guidelines for wood building design.
Traditional wood construction: the “blockhaus” system; the “fachwerk” system; the American systems “balloon frame” and “platform frame”; the wood frame construction in Europe in the ’20s and ’30s. The beginning of the industrialization in wood construction.
Contemporary wood construction; general characteristics; classification of the systems. Modern wood buildings in different systems. Metal connection elements for modern wood construction.
The structure of the main constructive parts of a wood building: closures; interior walls and floors.
The STEEL. Historical spots on the use of metal in construction. General characteristics of steel buildings; specific use areas. Fire protection. Corrosion protection.
Steel for construction: steel grades, assortments, basic products; steel rolled profiles. Connection techniques.
General guidelines for steel building design. Rational cross-sections of columns and beams. Junctions between structural elements: beam-column, beam-beam, column-foundation. Overall design of steel frame buildings; bracing systems.
The structure of the main constructive parts of a steel frame building: floors, staircases, curtain walls, lightweight interior walls.
Small scale architectural construction in steel.
Roof systems in wood and steel, for small, medium and large spans.
Lectures with digital image support. Guided practical exercises.
Participation at teaching activities (guided practical exercises and lectures) – 20%
Graphic test – 30%
Multiple choice test – 50%
Crișan, R, Construcții din lemn, Ed.Universitară Ion Mincu, 2006
Crișan, R, Construcții din oțel, Ed.Universitară Ion Mincu, 2003
Deplazes, A., Constructing Architecture, Birkhauser, 2005
Herzog, T., Natterer, J., Schweitzer, R., Volz, M., Winter, W., Timber Construction Manual. Birkhäuser, 2004
Schulitz, H.C., Sobek, W., Habermann, K.J., Steel Construction Manual. Birkhäuser, 2000.