The Faculty of Architecture / Architecture (English taught)
1st Year, sem 2, 2023-2024
Compulsory Course | Hours/Week: 1L+12P | ECTS Credits: 4
• use, development and improvement of tools for detailed architectural representation, including complex models;
• knowledge and use of the perspective section for the representation of the constructive-structural system and of the space defined by it;
• discovering and using the coverage plan as a way of representing the constructive-structural and spatial system.
[analytical and critical]
• practicing the reverse path: from photography to intuition/sketching of what is underneath/inside;
• deepening the specific characteristics of the main constructive-structural systems as well as their spatial implications;
• formation and development of the capacity to synthesize the specific characteristics of a structural-spatial system and to operate with them;
• understanding the concepts of module and modular space and their spatial implications;
• understanding the notions of function and served space – servant space as well as their spatial implications.
• deepening the abilities to associate the constructive-structural systems and their specific characteristics and qualities to various architectural intentions;
• exploring and clarifying different spatial configurations specific to modular systems;
• understanding the land as an integral part of the project and operating with the relationship between interior space – exterior space;
• understanding and operating the relationship between light and space.
• practicing critical thinking and autonomy in decision making in the development of an architectural project;
• practicing creative thinking.
Exercise 4 (I) / MODULAR SPACE. Module, coverage, light, function. The exercise starts from the intuition of a way of covering and a structure, starting from an aerial photograph of a building, whose exact identity does not matter. Then you will choose a detail or a series of details of a constructive system validated by these tests, with which you will work further on shaping a spatial-structural module: a coherent and autonomous spatial-structural unit which, by its quasi-identical multiplication, generates the whole. This module will be the core of your proposal. Subsequently you will propose a new, original structure, based on the interpretation of the studied coverage.
Individual critique, collective critique, multimedia presentations, study sheets, project sketches.
Projects: on the basis of individual presentations of the projects (judging sessions and grading in the worksop / department).
Andrea DEPLAZES, Constructing Architecture. Materials, Processes, Structures. A Handbook, Birkhauser, 2005
Herman HERTZBERGER, Lessons for Students in Architecture, 010 Publishers, 2005
Louis KAHN, Essential Texts, W. W. Norton & Company, 2003
Peter ZUMTHOR, Thinking Architecture, Birkhauser, 2006