The Faculty of Architecture / Architecture (English taught)
1st Year, sem 1, 2022-2023
Compulsory Course | Hours/Week: 1L+12P | ECTS Credits: 4
conf. dr. arh. Bogdan Fezi, șef lucr dr. arh. Alexandru Călin, conf. dr. arh. Andrei Șerbescu, conf. dr. arh. Robert Negru, șef lucr. dr. arh. Alexandra Afrăsinei, șef lucr. dr. arh. Dragoș Neamțu, conf. dr. arh. Ana-Maria Goilav, conf. dr. arh. Daniel Comșa, șef lucr dr. arh. Stefan Radocea, șef lucr dr. arh. Ana Maria Crișan, șef lucrari dr. arh. Adrian Moleavin, șef lucrări dr. arh. Daniela Calciu, șef lucr dr. arh. Cosmin Pavel, sef lucr dr. arh. Cristina Constantin
• use, development and improvement of architectural representation tools;
• knowledge and use of architectural detail in plane, section and elevation for the representation of the material and its implementation;
• learning and using complex models (casting - plaster, modeling - clay, assembly - wood) as a way of volumetric representation of space and material. Understanding the capabilities, roles and functions of this tool to represent space.
[analytical and critical]
• understanding the notions of constructive system and structural system and their spatial implications;
• exploring and clarifying the main constructive-structural systems: casting (concrete), masonry (brick and stone) and “skeleton” framework (wood);
• understanding the relationships established between a constructive-structural system and the space defined by it.
• training and development of the abilities to associate the constructive-structural systems and their specific characteristics and qualities to different architectural intentions;
• understanding and operating with the basic elements of space production and in their constructive and structural sense;
• understanding and operating with the different spatial configurations specific to the constructive-structural systems.
• practicing critical thinking and autonomy in decision making in the development of an architectural project.
Exercise 3 (I) / STRUCTURE SPACE. Space, construction, material, structure. Based on an initial choice regarding both the spatial type and the decision to explore the way of being specific to a certain material (stone, brick, concrete, wood) are practiced ways of spatial configuration (covering, closing, etc.) of a given perimeter. The emphasis is on understanding the connection between structure, material, space, light, order, spatial hierarchy.
Individual critique, collective critique, multimedia presentations, study sheets, project sketches.
Projects: on the basis of individual presentations of the projects (judging sessions and grading in the worksop / department).
Francis CHING, Architecture. Form, Space and Order, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007
Roger H. CLARK, Michael PAUSE, Precedents in Architecture: Analytic Diagrams, Formative Ideas, and Partis, John Wiley & Sons, 2005
Andrea DEPLAZES, Constructing Architecture. Materials, Processes, Structures. A Handbook, Birkhauser, 2005
Pierre von MEISS, Elements of Architecture. From Form to Place + Tectonics, EPFL Press, 2013 /// De la forma la loc + Tectonica: O introducere în studiul arhitecturii, Editura Capitel Avangarde, 2015
Rafael MONEO, ”On Typology” în: Oppositions, 1978:13, MIT Press, pp.22-45
Steen Eiler RASMUSSEN, Experiencing Architecture, MIT Press, 1962
Bruno ZEVI, Cum să înțelegem arhitectura, Editura Tehnică, 1969